There’s a reason this blog isn’t titled “The TIMELY Bullet.”
As much as I intend to post on a more regular basis, it just seems harder and harder these days to find the time and energy to wax poetic on the relative merits of Yankee Girl vs. Miss Victory. Still, I’m not ready to hang up the keyboard for a second – and presumably final – time, so it seems like a fine to time to literally steal a page from Johnny Bacardi’s fine blog and invite myself to an enticing meme that challenges participants to list their favorite albums of the last 20 years.
“Favorite” is the key word here. As the tag on Mr. Bacardi’s post states, and I quote, “If Maroon 5’s Songs About Jane was your favorite album, that should be number 1, even if you feel Nevermind was a more influential album.”
Well, Maroon 5 didn’t make the cut on my particular list but I must confess that Nirvana fell short as well. While I greatly admire Kurt Cobain’s discography as well as a great deal of Hip-Hop released in the past two decades, the albums I return to time and time again tend to revolve around less revolutionary rock ‘n’ roll and singer-songwriter conceits.
You can take a boy out of the ’70s, but you can’t take the ’70s out of the boy I guess.
The Dylan record, released on Sept. 11, 2001, is definitely my favorite album of the past 20 years; a dense swirl of Americana mixed with ruminations of mortality and a knock-knock joke.
The rest appear in no particular order. All, however, offered something of value in a pithy lyric, snarling guitar lick or hyped-up beat.
With no further ado …
- Bob Dylan – Love And Theft
- The White Stripes – De Stijl
- Gillian Welch – Time (The Revelator)
- Drive-By Truckers – Southern Rock Opera
- Paul McCartney – Run Devil Run
- The Magnetic Fields – 69 Love Songs
- Kylie Minogue – Impossible Princess
- New York Dolls – One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This
- Dean & Britta – L’Avventura
- Spoon – Kill The Moonlight
- Matthew Sweet – Girlfriend
- Doves – The Last Broadcast
- Sinead O’Connor – Gospel Oak
- Mother Hips – The Green Hills Of Earth
- Neko Case – Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
- The Detroit Cobras – Life, Love And Leaving
- Beck – Mutations
- Teenage Fanclub – Songs From Northern Britain
- Johnny Cash – American IV: The Man Comes Around
- Nada Surf – Let Go
- Britney Spears – Blackout
- Supergrass – In It For The Money
- Maria McKee – Life Is Sweet
- Belle & Sebastian – Dear Catastrophe Waitress
- Jay Bennett – The Magnificent Defeat